In the early 1930's many Scots in the north-west Surrey area used to meet at the Walton Playhouse for dancing and drinks at the bar, and in October 1933 a group of them founded the Walton-on-Thames & District Scottish Society. They organised socials which in the first few years focused on lectures, debates, and a small glee club.
During the war the Society went on hold although members continued to visit each other in their homes, thus keeping the Society alive. In 1946 it re-emerged and has flourished ever since.
The widened activities have included taking children to the pantomime, family picnics, Hallowe'en parties, Burns Nights, ceilidhs, boat trips, the formation of a mixed choir and a drama group, annual donations to charities, and, of course, Scottish country dancing. In 1970 the name was changed to the Addlestone & District Scottish Society. Meetings have been held in different venues in Walton, Weybridge, Addlestone, New Haw, Chertsey, Ottershaw, and currently Byfleet. In the 50's and 60's a private bus collected members throughout the district, brought them to meetings and returned them home.
Membership has fluctuated over the years and currently stands at over 50.
The Walton-on-Thames & District Scottish Society Mixed Choir
at the End-of-Season Choral 1950/51